Locations and Timing
Low Plaza is located at the foot of Low Library and looks out on College Walk and lower campus. View available Outdoor Event Space on campus.
With bustling New York City as its backdrop, Columbia's leafy green campus grounds are an oasis. View available Outdoor Event Space on campus.
Columbia's many academic buildings offer classrooms both historic and modern. Summer is an ideal time to film in classrooms.
Recently renovated, Faculty House is a McKim, Mead and White original building. This premiere event facility boasts 38,000 square feet of event space and a terrace overlooking upper Manhattan. It's ideal for productions.
Lerner Hall, Columbia University's Student Center, is an architecturally renowned building and has many versatile spaces. During the academic year, Lerner Hall is primarily reserved for student and Columbia affiliate use. If you are an outside production company and are interested in filming at Lerner, summer is when the building will have the highest availability.
Our first priority is to the academic business of the University. But whenever possible, the University strives to cooperate with commercial and documentary producers when productions will not disrupt classes and normal University business and events.
- Academic recesses are the best time to film on campus. View the University Academic Calendar.
Additional Location Information
- The following frequently-used locations have limited hours for filming and/or may require more than 10 business days for approval:
- Casa Italiana/Italian Academy (must pay for space)
- East Asian Library (weekend, overnights, or early mornings only, depending on availability)
- Classrooms (case-by-case; depending on availability)
- Pupin/Physics (All filming requests for Pupin Hall will require a walk through with an electrician once your location has been approved. A walk through will be required both before and after filming takes place. Any personnel expenses associated with the electrician's walk-through will be the sole responsibility of the student.)
- Filming at the following locations is limited:
- Lerner 7th floor
- Northwest Corner Building
- Avery Library
- Black Box Theater in Lerner
- Uris/Business School
- Dodge Gym/Athletics Department
- Per University/School policy, the following University spaces are never approved for filming:
- All undergraduate residence halls
- Butler Library
- Engineering Buildings (SEAS)
- Law School
- Miller Theater
- St. Paul's Chapel
- Low Library
- Columbia Dining locations, including Ferris Booth Commons, John Jay dining hall and JJ's Place
- Columbia Health offices
- Most bathrooms (exceptions: bathrooms in Dodge and 7th Floor Lerner Hall after 6pm)
- Lenfest Center for the Arts (interior; plaza may be used with permission)