Barbecue Events on Campus
Recognized Student Groups looking to hold a barbecue must receive prior authorization from their group's Advisor. The following is a brief overview of procedural guidelines.
For complete details on barbecue set up and disposal, and fire safety, please read and adhere to the guidelines in this section, as well as the University Event and Outdoor Space Policy.
Requesting a Barbecue on Campus
Faculty, Staff & Guests:
Faculty, staff, or guests with a Columbia affiliate sponsor who would like to coordinate a barbecue should submit a request to our team and we will work through the details with you. Faculty & staff with existing Event Management System (EMS) accounts can submit a request through that system. All others, please submit a Request A Quote form and we will respond to you as quickly as possible.
Recognized Student Groups:
Any Recognized Student Group wishing to barbecue on campus should:
- Seek Advisor’s approval for the event.
- Submit a request to Event Management for outdoor space.
- Attend an event review if determined necessary.
- Contact Facilities to rent barbecue equipment; personal grills are not permitted.
- Choose between:
- Hiring Columbia to cook
- Hiring a Licensed Vendor to cook
- Designating an event manager who must receive fire and safety training
- Your Event Manager must receive Barbecue training and sign acknowledgement of responsibilities.
- Use the disposal kit, provided by Facilities, at the end of the event.
BBQ Kit Contents
Students are not permitted to bring their own grills or equipment. Barbecue kits ordered through Facilities contain the following contents:
- 2 Galvanized Cans with Lids and Sand
- 2 ½ Gallon Pressurized Fire Extinguisher
- Set of BBQ Tools (spatula, fork, tongs)
- Coal Shovel
- 3 Bags of “#18 MatchLight” Charcoal
NOTE: One cart can service two grills.
Barbecues are permitted in the following approved outdoor campus locations:
Fire Safety Training (Required for Student Events)
Recognized Student Groups who will be conducting a barbecue must attend a fire safety training session led by our team and the University's Fire Safety team.
- Fire Safety training sessions will be held regularly when classes are in session.
- Students must register for training at least 24 hours in advance of the training date to reserve a space and must have completed the training to Event Management's satisfaction prior to their event.